Axis square

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Axis square
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:18:24 -0400

On 14-Oct-2008, Marco Caliari wrote:

| Dear maintainers,
|
| according to the help, "axis square" means that the axis should have a
| "square aspect ratio" (as it is in Gnuplot) and it is different from "axis
| equal". Instead, in scripts/plot/axis.m, square and equal have the same
| meaning. The enclosed patches (against Octave 3.0.3) fix it (if it is a
| bug).

I don't think this is the right fix as "mode" properties should
probably only have values of "manual" or "auto".

To make the axes square, Matlab apparently looks at the data ranges
and sets the dataaspectratio property appropriately while leaving the
dataaspectratiomode property set to auto.

I think we need to do the same thing so that after

  axis ('square')

the axes properties are consistent with what they would be in Matlab.
Otherwise, we are just asking for bug reports about this inconsistency.