Octave swarm, take3

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Octave swarm, take3
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:16:48 -0500

I fixed almost all of the attributions errors, I think. I upped the
resolution, changed the colours and sizes of things, and I played with
ffmpeg2theora until I decided that Theora ain't such a bad codec after
all. I also fixed character encoding errors for the names and
languages that I knew were missing it. Even Soren's name is spelled
correctly. :-) All the names are very readable now, especially near
the end whereas they weren't before. I bring you Octave Swarm, take 3:

     http://platinum.linux.pl/~jordi/movies/octave-swarm-fast-take3.ogg

As usual, it plays with VLC.

And Octave Swarm, the director's cut:

      http://inversethought.com/jordi/movies/octave-swarm-slow-take3.ogg

This is a slower version, about 16 minutes of video, so about one
minute per year of Octave development. It shows more detail. Seems a
little less dynamic, and has some more obvious periods of inactvity. I
would like to know what happened in the middle of 2002 when for a
couple of months development was seemingly stalled and then suddenly
exploded again.

I hope my hosts aren't brought down by a sudden surge in traffic. I
don't know how many people follow this mailing list regularly.
Hopefully it will all be fine.

A few final remarks: I made these videos in hopes that they could be
used to promote Octave. If anyone needs some help for creating
different versions of the videos (change the music or whatever), let
me know and I'll try to help. They show two things very clearly: (1)
jwe has done, pardon the expression, a metric fuckton of work on this
project for the last 16 years and it would be a sad loss if he were
unable to keep contributing, although (2) the number of contributors
to the project has been steadily rising and really exploded recently,
so I do not fear too much for the future of Octave development. It
seems alive and well so far. I am hoping these observations or others
you can draw from seeing Octave's development with these videos can
help convince people with money that it's worthwhile for them to
contribute to Octave. :-)

Cheers,
- Jordi G. H.