Re: Speeding Up gnuplot Interface with Binary Data

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Speeding Up gnuplot Interface with Binary Data
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:18:41 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
The follwoing commands that we are now sending to gnuplot
unconditionally seem to be the ones causing trouble:

  set tmargin 0;
  set bmargin 0;
  set lmargin 0;
  set rmargin 0;

These were moved in the changeset

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f6ca8ff51818

Maybe David can comment on the reason for this change.

In fact they were even there till recently. I believe Dmitri proposed them (but I was working on a patch that used zero margins in any case). I also discussed the reasoning for this in the thread on plotyy/colorbar last week.

What this supposed to do is that the Position property on the axes corresponds the the plot, without the labels, etc, and so using zero margins rather than automatic margins tells gnuplot that the graph size is exactly what you give it with "set size" and the axis labels are outside of that. This allows easy plot alignment in subplots and plotyy, and is needed to get consistent behavior with colorbars that are images as my recent changes makes them (ie a plot with a colorbar keep the same OuterPosition as a plot without one but modifies the Position property).

However, it also now appears that gnuplot assumes that the bounding box calculation with zero margins is based on the value give with "set szie"... Grrrrrrrr, then I'm not sure how to reconcile the need to set the plot size based on the axes "position" variable and the bounding-box in the postscript plots by the OuterPosition property..

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)