Re: legendre.m

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: legendre.m
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:11:32 -0400

On Oct 15, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Wednesday, October 15, 2008, at 08:02AM, "Ben Abbott" <address@hidden > wrote:

On Oct 15, 2008, at 3:24 AM, Marco Caliari wrote:

| Moreover, what about the new legendre.m function described here

http://www.nabble.com/normalized-ALF-(Assotiated-Legendre-Function)-td15278073.html#a15278073

Please use separate threads for separate topics.

I don't have an objection to including it, but I don't think it
should
unconditionally print a warning every time it is called.

In the final message of that thread, I noticed that the warning was
misleading and suggested to remove it. I think Ben (who committed
the patch) did it. Ben?

Marco

I'll take a look.

Ben

I can confirm that committed version of legendre.m is the one I patched (with some changes for consistency with Octave's coding practices).

I haven't been following along with this thread, but assume there is a desire to bring back the underflow error. Is that correct?

Ben

The attached changeset adds checks for both underflow and overflow and warns on the first occurrence.

Marco, I'm uncertain if you are using mercurial or if you are able to apply patches, so I've also attached the complete legendre.m function.

I also noticed a minor bug and fixed ... it is accompanied by an additional test as well.

Ben