Python to Octave bridge

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Python to Octave bridge
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:29:10 -0400

On 17-Oct-2008, David Grundberg wrote:

| Announcing Pytave - Python to Octave extension
|
| Embeds the Octave language interpreter as an extension to Python,
| enabling existing m-files to be used from Python.
|
| Features:
|  * Implicit type conversions between Python and Octave. Supports all
| Numeric integer, real double (and possibly real float) matrices
|  * Architecture independent - no assumption on endianess or integer sizes
|
| Call Octave code in Python:
|  >>> import pytave
|  >>> pytave.feval(1, "cos", 0)
| (1.0,)
|
| Project homepage:
| https://launchpad.net/pytave
|
| Branch from trunk with:
|
| $ bzr branch lp:pytave
|
| read the README file for building instructions

I looked at pytave.cc and I'm curious to know why you don't simply
call

  octave_main (argc, argv, 1)

to initialize the Octave interpreter.  This is intended to be the way
to initialize everything necessary for embedding the Octave
interpreter in another application.  That way, you should nto need to
know the details, and we are free to change the way initialization
happens without breaking your application.  If it this method does not
work properly for some reason, it would be good to know why.