Re: Plotting status in Octave

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Plotting status in Octave
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:34:36 -0600

Søren Hauberg wrote:
ons, 22 10 2008 kl. 07:56 -0600, skrev Jonathan Stickel:
That's just it:  a champion is needed to work on the backend of
Octaviz, whatever the details of the implementation. I just don't have the c++ skills to make much progress myself. I wish other Octave maintainers that interested in graphics would take some interest. VTK rendered data visualizations are on par or better than anything else, in my opinion, and many of the needed tools are already there, such as axis manipulation, interpolated shading, colobar, graphics exporting, and mouse/keyboard rotation and zooming.

From what I remember, the problem with VTK is documentation. Unless you
have a big-expensive book, the toolkit is really hard to use. Is memory
serving me correct here?

Yes, there is a costly book or two that may or may not be helpful, but you don't necessarily need them. I don't have them and have never seen them. I get by with freely available short tutorials, example code, and most importantly, the complete doxygen generated documentation:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/5.2/html/index.html

Jonathan