Re: Plotting status in Octave

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Plotting status in Octave
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:35:18 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 22-Oct-2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| VTK is nice, but it is "just" another frontend to OpenGL. MathGL right
| now is being maintained, it already has an Octave interface too, and
| it seems to already be able to do all the things that Octaviz can do.
| I don't know if what Shai and Michael are working does 3d graphics.

Yes, it does.  To start, you should build the current development
sources of Octave and run

  __init_fltk__ ();
  set (gcf (), "__backend__", "fltk");
  sombrero ();

Oops.  This doesn't work at all now, though it should.  So we could
use some help just finding out why this is broken now.  Instead of
taking off on yet another massive independent graphics project for
Octave, it would help to have some more people who are working
together to improve what we already have.

OK, I'd like to try this interface out. When it is working again, can someone please summarize which dependencies I need, which octavze sources to use, and anything else I should know?

Thanks,
Jonathan