Re: Problem with an oct file that won't load

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Problem with an oct file that won't load
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:02:34 -0400

On Oct 23, 2008, at 3:24 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 23-Oct-2008, John Swensen wrote:

| I'm pretty sure that they are NOT allocated.  There is a buffer
| somewhere else that maintains the most recent error and its source.

Could you check, by repeatedly trying to load a .oct file that fails
to load and then seeing if the Octave process size grows?

jwe

This is a quote from the Apple developer site:
"The API is similar to the dyld linkEdit error handler except that all the parameters are passed as pointers to be filled in.
extern void NSLinkEditError(
NSLinkEditErrors *c,
int *errorNumber,
const char **fileName,
const char **errorString);

The last two parameters return pointers to static buffers allocated in the dynamic linker which get reused on subsequent calls to NSLinkEditError. The NSLinkEditErrors enum has been extended to includeNSLinkEditUndefinedError and NSLinkEditMultiplyDefinedError."

(Sorry if that pasted funny from HTML to plain text email).

I think we are OK.

It did help me solve the problem. The error text was a big long string telling me that I had messed up my fink installation and had messed up version dependencies.  I simply had to rebuild the gtkglarea library and everything went fine.  However, had I not added this patch I wouldn't have know which package was causing the problem.  I have since closed my terminal, but the error said something like:

The library /sw/lib/libgtk.so.2 (Version x.y.z) requires libgtkgl.so.2 (Version a.b.c) but /sw/lib/libgtkgl.so.2 provides version f.g.h

John