@ref into @seealso: missing anchors

From: Thorsten Meyer
Subject: @ref into @seealso: missing anchors
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 00:03:16 +0200

I am implementing the expansion of @seealso() commands in the
documentation strings into texinfo references (i.e. @ref{}).

I managed to adapt munge-texi.cc in src/interpreter such that it expands
all the @seealso commands: e.g.
        @seealso{myfunction} gets expanded into
        @address@hidden,,myfunction}}.
(the munge-texi program already generates an @anchor for each octave
function that is mentioned in a @DOCSTRING() command in one of the txi
files).
When trying to rebuild the documentation with this, I found that many
reference targets (anchors) are missing. The reason for this can be a
typo in the @seealso commands or missing @DOCSTRING() entries for octave
commands in the txi files. I'll use the corresponding error output to
correct the documentation strings and txi files accordingly.

However, as long as there are missing reference targets, the
documentation fails to build.

What do you think:
 - should this stay as it is to force a fully consistent set of
documentation strings? That would mean that only valid octave function
names are allowed as an argument to @seealso{} and that all valid octave
functions (which have a documentation string) have to be present as a
@DOCSTRING() command in the txi files.
 - or should I try to catch such errors in the munge-texi program and
not expand references that do not have an anchor (yet) (maybe giving a
warning)?

Thorsten Meyer