Re: Basic questions about the new graphics system

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Basic questions about the new graphics system
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:31:31 -0400

On Oct 24, 2008, at 7:58 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Oct 24, 2008, at 12:39 AM, Shai Ayal wrote:

FTGL gets compiled in as a basis for text rendering. Unfortunately, we
never quite got the time to actually use it and implement text
rendering

Really? ... as I'm having great difficulty using the Fink version of FTGL, I'll ignore the problem for now.

However, if anyone on Mac OSX is able to link to FTGL, I'd appreciate it if they could email me their config.log file so that I may compare with what I get.

Ben

I have been able to get FTGL to link, but not with the fink version. I had to compile the new version. I have a modified version of your go_default.sh script. I have attached it.

Note that I also had to make sure that the PKG_CONFIG_PATH was set to properly pick up the right Freetype2 library PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/opt/octavex11/ lib/pkgconfig If you haven't updated fink in a while you won't have this, since they didn't update Freetype2 until they did their massive update to PangoCairo a few months ago. Note that /sw/opt/octavex11 is where I have FTGL installed. It the the ftgl-2.1.3~rc5 release from their sourceforge website.

Also note that I modified you script in the following ways:
1) Added /sw/include/freetype2 to the CFLAGS
2) Because of OSX 10.5 weirdness with the OpenGL Framework, I had to add "-dylib_file /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/ A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/ Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib" to the LDFLAGS line

I hope this helps, but maybe you have already tried all of this.

John Swensen