Re: indexing improvements - advice wanted

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: indexing improvements - advice wanted
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:08:20 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:54 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
Is there any objection to applying it now?  I don't expect 3.2 will be
released before making a number of snapshots, and we would likely get
feedback about any indexing problems before the release.  From the
looks of things, it would probably be easier to fix any indexing bugs
in the new code than it was in the old.

I'm not sure - I guess it depends on how far off 3.2.0 is. I wanted to
also look at Sparse<T> (see my previous reply to David), so this patch
has only gone "halfway", and if 3.2.0 is released, e.g., next week, I
may not make it to finish the rest. But I really can't tell whether
this is enough of a reason.

My thoughts were that the 3.2.0 release isn't all that far off. As far as I can see the TODO list for 3.2.0, based on the previous status report is

+ Objects:
        - Operator overloading vs. constant folding

+. Handle block comments.  This is not quite finished as block
      comments inside [] or {}, and also in the group of comments
      following a continuation character, etc., are not handled.  See
      the FIXME comments in lex.l.

+ Improve traceback error messages.  This is not quite finished as
        errors that occur in if, while, for, etc blocks have their
        position misreported.

+ Graphics:
        Contourgroups seems to be about the only major thing missing to
        me, though I've almost finished a patch for this.

As far as I can see the first two are optional and only the second two have to be addressed. Other tasks that should be considered before the release:

    * Document the contourgroup objects (other graphics changes are
        documented)

    * Document other functions that were ported from octave-forge (eg
      imread, dlmwrite, etc)

    + Update the NEWS file.

    * Bug fix for dbstop on if, while, etc blocks not working

So the list of things requiring attention for 3.2.0 is actually quite short. However, there are probably quite a few bugs in the latest development releases, and so its not improbable that as John says a number of snapshots before release are necessary.

So hey why not include your indexing changes if it passes all the test cases.

Cheers
David
35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)