Built-in variables documentation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Built-in variables documentation
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:05:30 -0400

On 30-Oct-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:

|   The chapter in the manual about variables has two sections (7.4 and
| 7.5) on built-in variables. These were changed into built-in functions
| quite some time ago, so this part of the manual should really change.
|   I see two possible changes:
|
| 1) Create a new (fairly short) chapter on customising Octave. Here we
| could describe the built-in functions.
|
| 2) Move the descriptions of the built-in functions to different
| chapters, i.e. move the 'page_screen_output' description to Chapter 14
| [Input and Output].
|
| Personally, I prefer the second solution. Any alternative solutions or
| opinions?

Yes, the second option is probably good.  Does it matter that there
would no longer be a single list of all the functions that can be used
to customize Octave's behavior?

| Also, we have "Variable Index" at the end of the manual. Perhaps that
| should just be removed now, that almost all variables have been removed?

Yes, it could be removed.  The only variable that I think we have now
is "ans", and that could be moved to the concept index.  Are there any
others?