compiling from hg sources (was Re: Plotting status in Octave)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: compiling from hg sources (was Re: Plotting status in Octave)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:25:47 -0400

On 30-Oct-2008, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

| OK, I did a hg pull and update this morning and am now trying to
| compile.  First I unexpectedly found no configure file.  I learned how
| to generate this with autoconf.  Now configure seems to run OK until I get:
|
| config.status: error: cannot find input file: config.h.in
|
| What else do I need to do?

Run the autogen.sh script.

I think all that is needed is

  hg clone ...

  cd octave

  ./autogen.sh

  cd to whatever you want to use as the build directory  (it's not
  required that you use a separate build directory, but it is
  recommended)

  /full/name/of/src/directory/configure ... options ...

  make

  make check (optional)

  make install (optional, but recommended unless you are just building
  for testing purposes)

Also, I recommend configuring with something like

  --prefix=/usr/local/octave/3.1.51+

so that you can delete the entire Octave installation with one simple
"rm -rf".  Then you can easily have multiple versions of Octave
installed such that they do not conflict with one another in any way,
and you can easily select the one you wish to use by modifying your
PATH.

| Are there instructions for these extra development steps that I am
| not seeing?

I don't know of anything.  Once you understand how it works, would you
like to write something more detailed than the above for the manual
and contribute it?