more FTGL configure trouble

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: more FTGL configure trouble
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:25:22 -0600

I am also having FTGL configure trouble as reported by others on this list. I am using development sources pulled today on Mac OS X (10.4.11) with FTGL (2.1.2) and freetype (2.3.7) installed by MacPorts. The relevant configure lines seem to be:

checking for freetype-config... /opt/local/bin/freetype-config
checking for FreeType -- version >= 9.0.3... yes
checking FTGL/ftgl.h usability... yes
checking FTGL/ftgl.h presence... yes
checking for FTGL/ftgl.h... yes
checking for FTGLTextureFont in -lftgl... no
configure: WARNING: "FTGL library not found. Native renderer will not have on-screen text"
configure: WARNING:
configure: WARNING: I didn't find the necessary libraries to compile native
configure: WARNING: graphics. It isn't necessary to have native graphics
configure: WARNING: but you will have to use gnuplot or you won't be able
configure: WARNING: to use any of Octave's plotting commands

Since I haven't seen any resolution mentioned, nor does it seem that any code to use FTGL has been written, my question is: can I ignore this? Will the other parts of the native graphics be compiled and work?

Thanks,
Jonathan