Re: Difference in greek tic marks for x11 and aqua?

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Difference in greek tic marks for x11 and aqua?
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:43:16 -0600

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mac OSX, I noticed that the "aqua" and "x11" terminals give different
> results when I add greek symbols to the axis tic marks *and* change the axes
> fontsize.
>
> I've attached an "aqua" plot and the script I'm using to create the plots
> for various terminals. I can't include the x11 bit map, as when I do a snap
> shot, I get a blank bitmap. So I've included the plotstream for x11 instead.
> Just type "gnuplot -persist plot-x11.gp" to have the plot rendered.
>
> In any event, for x11 the strings with greek letters always show up in the
> default fontsize (10?).
>
> Can someone verify that the fontsize problem exists on Linux? ... and can
> another Mac OSX user verify it exists for them as well?

I suggest posting this to <address@hidden>.

The only way i can change fonts in x11 is by:

set term x11 enhanced "Helvetica, 20"

or similar. More over -- i suspect there is no true "Helvetica" fonts
for x11, so it does some kind of substitution.
Setting  fonts in [x,y]labels etc does not make any effect.

I am not sure if it is a bug in octave or just a feature of x11 terminal.

> Ben

Regards,

Dmitri.