JDQR ?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: JDQR ?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:30:04 +0100

Hi All,
  This mail serves the purpose of show-casing my ignorance.
I'd like to play a bit around with the "Locally Linear Embedding
(LLE)" [1], but that code requires 'eigs'. While I can get 'eigs' (and
already have) on my machine, its license situation is annoying. At the
LLE page, they say

  "Actually, eigs doesn't really work at all for large problems. You
   need to use a more sophisticated solver.
   We have had good results with the JDQR package, from here."

where "here" refers to [2]. So, my question is: does anybody know if the
JDQR could be used to provide an alternative to 'eigs' that we could
use. JDQR doesn't come with any license information, but if it's
suitable for providing 'eigs' than we at least ask the JDQR developers
to relicense under GPL.

Søren

[1] http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~roweis/lle/
[2] http://www.math.uu.nl/people/vorst/JDQR.html