font trouble when printing bitmaps

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: font trouble when printing bitmaps
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 23:02:41 -0600

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov
<address@hidden> wrote:

>>> You need to point GDFONTPATH to the directory that has these fonts. E.g.:
>>>
>>> $ GDFONTPATH=/Library/Fonts octave
>>>
>>> Dmitri.
>>> --
>>
>> Excuse my ignorance, but what sort of files will be present in the
>> directory?
>>
>> My /Library/Fonts contians ttf and dfont files, which apparently is not what
>> is needed.
>>

> GD needs to know where true-type fonts are.
> Why do you think this is not what is needed?
>
>> Ben
>>

> Dmitri.
> --

I guess the Mac has fontfile name "Times New Roman.ttf" So GD cannot
find "Times-Roman"...

The GD library is such a pain to deal with...
It needs to know the directory ofd the fonts and then the actual file
name of a font
file you want to use.

I highly recommend using postscript for all your printing needs and convert
the resulting file into png/jpeg afterwards.

Sincerely,

Dmitri.