Re: How to deal with octave HG archive correctly?

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: How to deal with octave HG archive correctly?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:32:18 +0100

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After pushing my first changeset to the octave archive,
> I was wondering what is the recommended way to do
> this. Currently, I'm working with a mercurial queue and
> I follow these steps when a changeset is ready for push:
> 1) hg qpop -a
> 2) hg pull -u (to sync with current archive)
> 3) put the target changeset at the bottom of the stack
> 4) hg qpush
> 5) hg qdelete -r patch_name
> 6) hg push -r xxxx
>
> Now, if anything is changed in the archive between step
> 2 and 6, I'll have to re-pull, then merge. But the merge
> changeset should not be pushed back to the archive, right?
>
> So in the end, what's the correct way?

The easiest option is probably to use
hg qimport -r tip
hg qpop
hg pull -u
hg qpush
# fixup possible conflicts
hg qfin

note: qdelete -r is deprecated. You should be using qfinish instead.
note2: Typically the only conflict after qpush (if any) is in
ChangeLog files. For that purpose, I've modified Mercurial in such a
way that when an entry is simply prepended to a ChangeLog file, a
context-free diff is generated - this makes patchwork much smoother.
If you're interested, I can send you the mercurial patch.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert