SONAME clarification

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: SONAME clarification
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:02:25 -0500

On 12-Nov-2008, Marco Atzeri wrote:

| Hi All,
| could someone clarify me the scope of
|
|  { false, "SONAME_FLAGS", OCTAVE_CONF_SONAME_FLAGS },
|
| in src/toplev.cc ?

That is just recording the SONAME_FLAGS in the struct that
octave_config_info returns.

| I was trying to get rid of SONAME_FLAGS,
| to solve the cygwin issue of different
| prefix between DLL and the import library
|
| cygoctave.dll liboctave.dll.a
|
| see for reference
| http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html
|
| My idea was to define
| LIBPRE=cyg
|
| and to replace SONAME_FLAGS with
|
| SOCRUFT_FLAGS='-Wl,--out-implib=libcruft.dll.a'
| SOOCTAVE_FLAGS='-Wl,--out-implib=liboctave.dll.a'
| SOINTERP_FLAGS='-Wl,--out-implib=liboctinterp.dll.a'
|
| for cygwin and leave

It is currently set to

  SONAME_FLAGS='-Wl,address@hidden'

in configure.in for Cygwin, so I don't see how this will change
anything.  In the places where SONAME_FLAGS is used, isn't $@ already
set to libcruft.dll, liboctave.dll, and liboctinterp.dll?

Oh, I see, you are changing LIBPRE to "cyg".  If you do that and you
also strip it off for the --out-implib option, then how about using
something like

  SONAME_FLAGS='-Wl,--out-implib=$(patsubst $(LIBPRE)%, %, $@).a'

?  Would that do what you want?

Or maybe we need to revisit this whole LIBPRE thing so that it is
used on all systems (i.e., LIBPRE would be set to "lib" on Unixy
systems).

Comments?