Re: the competition's expm vs ours

From: Javier Fernández
Subject: Re: the competition's expm vs ours
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:58:04 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Today's Topics:

   1. Re: the competition's expm vs ours ( Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso )

2008/11/12 David Bateman <address@hidden>:
Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso wrote:
I just ran into a "benchmark" in a blog somewhere that suggests that
our expm is slower than Matlab's.

Jaroslav can probably do a better job at that than I can as he worked on
this part of the code... However, can you put us to the benchmark?

It wasn't anything impressive. Just ran expm a couple of times on
rand(300), and we lost by a factor of 8 or so. I can't find it again.
:-/

Googlin for "expm benchmark octave matlab" gives this thread as second hit (first hit is of course this thread :-)

http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=19&threadid=41499&STARTPAGE=2#336461
http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=19&threadid=41499&STARTPAGE=2#337667

But I think the second post (octave timing) is on a different computer than the first one (Matlab & Mathematica).

I have recently seen benchmarks against old octave versions (2.9.10), even for software released few months ago
http://cermics.enpc.fr/~jpc/nsp-tiddly/mine.html
(click on "Benchmark")

I think Jaroslav's indexing improvements are included in 3.0.3 but not in previous versions, aren't they?

-javier