Re: Graphical help browser

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Graphical help browser
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:47:12 -0500

On Nov 23, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

Hi All,
 One of the few things I envy Matlab users is their documentation
browser. We only have the info browser, which IMHO have two problems: 1) you have to remember some keyboard shortcuts (that I always forget), and 2) it opens in the same window as the Octave prompt meaning I can't look
at them both at the same time.
 These days it's quite easy to create special purpose web browsers
(using webkit), so I figured I'd give it shot. At
http://hauberg.org/wiki/doku.php?id=help_browser you guys can get the
source code to a graphical help browser, and see a screen shot. I've
been using it for the last month or so, and it's quite stable.
 The only hard part in this is to generate the HTML content, but with
my patch to rewrite the help system as m-files this was fairly easy.

Søren

How do you do your search? I was using a library called xapian (http://xapian.org/ ) to generate a search index from a bunch of HTML. It seems to do a very good job and is very quick. I was using Webkit also for my help browser.

John Swensen