Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:48:28 -0500

On Nov 25, 2008, at 2:27 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

tir, 25 11 2008 kl. 14:11 -0500, skrev John Swensen:
4) Syntax-highlighting editor (50% : there are still some bugs and
debugging isn't incorporated yet.  I would also like better emacs
keybindings, search capability, code completion, blah, blah blah, but
that is a ways off)

Are you implementing your own editor or are you embedding some other
editor? How much communication has to happen between an editor and
Octave? I can think of the following two things that should be possible

1) You should be able to set debug break points, and step through the
code from the editor.

2) You should be able to send part of (or the entire) file you working
on to Octave.

Can't stuff like this be implemented by having some inter-process
communication in Octave (like D-Bus). You would have to extend an editor
to talk to Octave through this inter-process channel (most editors
support plugins).

Anyway, I haven't looked at your work, so I'm asking out of ignorance.

Søren

As indicated in the email to JWE, I am using GtkSourceView to implement the hard parts of the editor. The rest of it is just managing buffers and opening files and such.

As far as I am concerned, the two things you mentioned plus hover to view variables are the only interaction between the editor and Octave and they are handled as follows:

1) Setting, clearing, and modifying breakpoints are handled through the octave_server class. 2) Just as with the command history, when executing highlighted code from the editor, I simply send it to the VTE widget as if someone had typed it in. 3) Requesting a variable for displaying when the mouse hovers over a variable name in the editor is also handled by octave_server. Of course this feature only makes sense after having hit a breakpoint.

At the present time, I see no other interactions between the editor and Octave, but if you see others let me know.

John Swensen