Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:12:00 +0100

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso skrev:
2008/11/25 David Grundberg <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>:
> I don't think Qt is a meta-toolkit, i.e. just because it has native
> components/commands/widgets and you use this to create a GUI, the program > will still be a Qt program, and will not look like a native win32 or GTK+
> program.

I was under the impression that Skype and Google Earth looked native
in each of their environments. Was I mistaken?
Looking and behaving are two different things.

Make no mistake, they probably worked a lot to make it happen. It's like I said, they probably designed the layout specifically for each platform. There's no way they just designed it on one platform and pop! it looked great and worked exactly right (in regard to user expectations such as mnemonics) on the other one too. There are probably a lot of layout ifdefs, I'd suspect.

This being said, a lot of cross-platform applications are designed for Windos only, and most users on "other" platforms (except mac users) are used to Windows shortcuts etc, and they get by. Still, it's technically wrong, since a GNOME user who haven't used Windows would be frustrated since the shortcuts would be wrong, and the settings dialog wouldn't work (as they expected).

Google Earth isn't really a good application to discuss, since part of the user experience is exploration, and the gui isn't designed to be familiar, it's supposed to be cool and Web 2.0 or whatever. Also, mayor part of the user interaction is with a custom component, the 3d view.

Haven't used Skype for a long time, so I can't really relate.