Architecture dependancy in mkoctfile

From: Jeroen Kleijer
Subject: Architecture dependancy in mkoctfile
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:42:24 +0100

Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong mailing list to post this to but I'm not
quite sure where to post this (the maintainer of the EPEL octave
packages directed me to you and since it isn't a bug I thought to try
the maintainers)

I recently installed the octave-devel packages through EPEL and got
both the i386 as well as the x86_64 versions installed.
While trying to compile mpitb I kept getting messages telling me that
the CPU architecture was wrong and it took me a while to figure out
that the machine architecture was defined in the file
/usr/bin/mkoctfile-3.0.1. Through some unfortunate luck, the i386
version was installed right after the x86_64 version which overwrote
the _correct_ mkoctfile and replaced it which caused it to try to
compile everything for i386.

I've made some adjustments to mkoctfile to basically check at the
beginning which architecture is in use and set some variables
depending on them and compilation seems to work fine.

I know this isn't in the form of a patch or anything but could someone
have a look at it whether this is something that can be incorporated
in future versions? (maybe add other architectures?) Or is this
something that should be done by the maintainer of the packages?

Kind regards,

Jeroen Kleijer