Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: Abdelrazak Younes
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:49:52 +0100

Soren Hauberg wrote:
tir, 25 11 2008 kl. 13:58 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
    1) Completely free and cross platform. I understand compiling Qt
    on Windows with MinGW is trivial, whereas GTK+ is more of a
    challenge, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm under the impression that gtk works easily with mingw, but I haven't
used windows in a decade, so I'm as far from being an expert as
possible. But see http://live.gnome.org/gtkmm/MSWindows for details.

FYI, Mingw development is a pita (i.e. slow as hell). MSVC2008 is a very fast and standard compliant compiler and a nice IDE. Last time I tried GTK was not compliable with MSVC. Qt of course is.

    4) Big players prefer it, so I am guessing they have good reasons
    for it.

Really? I was under the impression that Qt is mostly used in embedded
applications. But hey, I don't really know...

Hey, you obviously don't :-)
FYI all of KDE is Qt, LyX is Qt and some cross-platform commercial apps are Qt too (Skype, Google earth, etc).

Of course, these are very subjective reasons... but in the grand
tradition of past holy wars like Emacs vs vim and Gnome vs KDE (of
which this present jihad feels like an offshoot), subjectivity is all
we have.

Yay, we can a flame-war :-)

Hope I didn't disappoint you :-)

That being said, QtOctave seems pretty stalled to me. I sent a patch to the devel list some weeks ago but never got any answer... So if the GTK GUI is in active development, that is the best option you have right now IMHO. In any case, if I had a say in Octave development I would strongly recommend to concentrate on one frontend instead wasting your precious and scarce development resource with multiple frontends. We had very bad experience in LyX development and I would be sad that Octave repeat the same errors that we made.

Good luck,
Abdel.