Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: Abdelrazak Younes
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:58:26 +0100

David Grundberg wrote:
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso skrev:
2008/11/25 David Grundberg <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>:
> I don't think Qt is a meta-toolkit, i.e. just because it has native
> components/commands/widgets and you use this to create a GUI, the program > will still be a Qt program, and will not look like a native win32 or GTK+
> program.

I was under the impression that Skype and Google Earth looked native
in each of their environments. Was I mistaken?
Looking and behaving are two different things.

Make no mistake, they probably worked a lot to make it happen. It's like I said, they probably designed the layout specifically for each platform. There's no way they just designed it on one platform and pop! it looked great and worked exactly right (in regard to user expectations such as mnemonics) on the other one too. There are probably a lot of layout ifdefs, I'd suspect.

Take a look at latest LyX-1.6.0. Mac users tell us that it now behaves a lot like a typical Mac app. And this platform integration is mostly made out of user settings, not ifdefs.

FYI, LyX is developped with Qt4 and is supported on all major platforms.

Abdel.