Re: [changeset] don't remove whitespace within @example in docstrings

From: dbateman
Subject: Re: [changeset] don't remove whitespace within @example in docstrings
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 22:46:11 +0100

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 09:59:46PM +0100, Thorsten Meyer wrote:
> Actually, perl seems to be available in the MSYS supplementary tools.
> See here:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=67879.

Yes, but it has to be installed.

> Apart from that: is your concern only about availability of perl or
> maybe also about adding risc of compatibility  issues in the build
> process or general maintainability of the build process?

My personal concern is that I always hesitate to add additional
dependencies.. Note that I've added quite a few myself, but I always
think first how I can do without them. If there is an easy way to do
without that doesn't introduce too much code in Octave and is just as
performant, then better in a general sense to go with the solution that
doesn't add dependencies.

Note in this case that Octave already has a dependency on Perl, which
I'd though was used for octave.desktop. However, its not used for that,
but rather to extract the error numbers and build the option handling
code for things like dassl. So Octave in fact already has a pretty
strong dependency on Perl.. So I withdraw my concern on additional
dependencies..

Regards
D.