Re: eigs and ARPACK

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: eigs and ARPACK
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:10:38 -0500

On  4-Dec-2008, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| John W. Eaton schrieb:
| > On  3-Dec-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:
| >
| > |   It was just pointed out on the Octave-Forge list that ARPACK seems to
| > | have been released under a standard BSD license [1]. Doesn't this mean
| > | that we can move the code from the 'arpack' package into core Octave,
| > | which would give us the 'eigs' and 'svds' functions?
| > |
| > | Søren
| > |
| > | [1] http://www.caam.rice.edu/software/ARPACK/RiceBSD.txt
| >
| > Yes, this is great news.  Would someone like to prepare a patch?
|
| Just a question, the tarball 3.1.51 now is quite old. Would it be possible to
| create a 3.1.52 tarball before adding another dependency to Octave? I'd like
| prepare an 3.1.52 binary marked 'unstable' for Mac somewhen soon, so that
people
| could have a look at it if all the previous dependencies that have been
applied
| since 3.0.x just work on their machines and maybe they also join further
| development then if their release is a little bit newer?

I've posted a few times already about wanting to make a new snapshot
but I have hesitated to do it because there have been some regressions
since 3.0.x that I would prefer to have fixed first.  I can't remember
precisely what they were now.  I think some were plotting related.
Maybe now all of thoese problems are fixed.  Also, at this point I
think we should work through the backlog of pending patches and bug
reports prior to making a new snapshot.  In any case, I'd like to
start having more regular snapshots, so any help with the pending bug
reports and patches (mostly reviewing them) would be helpful.

Thanks,