Re: diagonal matrices specializations

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: diagonal matrices specializations
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:52:15 -0500

On  8-Dec-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| and similarly for binary data.
| Saving to HDF5 doesn't work yet. I think I'd appreciate advice here on
| how to do things. It appears that Octave stores typeinfo along with
| variables in hdf5 format, just as it does in the native formats, and
| expects every class to hdf5-saveable.
| But isn't the hdf5 format meant to be an export format? In that case,
| maybe the optimized matrices should be converted to full before
| saving?

I'm not sure of the purpose of the HDF5 format.  For example, can
Matlab cload HDF files created by Octave?  If so, it would be nice to
preserve that capability, but if they can't be loaded directly now,
then I'm not sure it matters much and you might as well save the new
data types in whatever format makes the most sense.