Re: the competition's expm vs ours

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: the competition's expm vs ours
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:53:09 +0100

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  9-Dec-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | I don't basically object, but is it a good idea to tailor coding style
> | specifically for Emacs?
>
> Using ## for comments that are indented to the code level is the
> coding style, with or without Emacs.  But it definitely simplifies
> deciding how to indent comments in the Emacs mode depending on whether
> they begin with one, two, or three comment characters.

Just to clarify: what is the recommended use of #, ##, ###?
I've just read tips.txi and I understand it like this:
If the comment is on a stand-alone line, it should start with ##.
A comment after code should start with #.
There's nothing describing ### comments.
Is this correct? The text also says the # comments should be aligned,
but doesn't specify it:
Does it matter to what column? Can it vary throughout the file?

In that case, I'd like to note a quickscan just showed that people
write ~ 6 times often code on stand-alone lines
(not counting comments starting in the leading column).
Just try in the scripts dir
grep ' # ' `find -name '*.m'` | wc -l
grep ' ## ' `find -name '*.m'` | wc -l
So, could it be done the other way around? # for stand-alone, ## for
trailing comments?
It's easier to type a single comment sign than double, so IMHO it only
makes sense to let the more often used to be the easier to type.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert