Re: error when compiling Octave in Cygwin

From: Ivan Sutoris
Subject: Re: error when compiling Octave in Cygwin
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:12:20 +0100

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Ivan Sutoris <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> the saturated integer arithmetics has been almost completely rewritten
> for better performance since 3.0.x
> See <http://www.nabble.com/integer-arithmetics-tt19602789.html#a19602789>
> All the heavy templating inside octave_int_cmp_op is to allow safe
> comparison of any two integers types
> as well as reals with integers without doing useless tests.
> I believe that the implementation is standard-conforming; and the call
> gcc 3.4.4 gripes about, "mop<octave_int_cmp_op::lt>(double, uint64_t)
> is unambigous, namely
> "static bool octave_int_cmp_op::mop(double, uint64_t) [with xop =
> octave_int_cmp_op::lt]" should be a clear winner, as it matches the
> arguments exactly and no deduction is necessary.
>
> Yeah I may still be wrong, but given that more recent compilers seem
> to accept my code, I won't bet on it. Actually I suspected a possible
> problem when coding that, but both compilers I tried had no problem,
> and the alternative (introducing one more nested class) seemed less
> elegant. gcc 4 is now out for 3.5 years, it doesn't seem right to me
> to avoid standard-conforming code just to please an already obsolete
> or almost-obsolete compiler.
>
> So, my advice is the same as Dmitri's: use gcc 4 for compiling the
> development sources. Or maybe try upgrading to 3.4.6, chances are that
> the problem was fixed even in 3.4 series.
>
> regards
>

> --
> RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
> computing expert
> Aeronautical Research and Test Institute (VZLU)
> Prague, Czech Republic
> url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

Thanks for the replies. I'm not insisting on using 3.4.4, it's just
the default version in Cygwin :) Following Dmitri's advice, I found
out that Cygwin includes also gcc 4.3.2 (executables have suffix
"-4"), so I tried to run configure script with parameters "CC=gcc-4
CXX=g++-4 F77=gfortran-4", which went well. The same errors, however,
appeared again during compilation. Are there any other configure flags
one should setup?

Ivan Sutoris