Re: Linking problems with mutex and zsyrk_

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Linking problems with mutex and zsyrk_
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:18:42 +0100

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
>>> but at least there is a hint there that lapack might be missing.
>>

>> Sorry that was my fault. An escaped newline made the makefile invalid.
>> If you wish, please try again this
>> configuration (only BLAS, no LAPACK) - it should work with this patch:
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/7f6efc2b75d9
>>
>> In fact BLAS is the more important piece - what you usually get
>> installed as lapack package from a distro is exactly what Octave
>> compiles for itself.
>
> After un-installing LAPACK, the config process shows that BLAS library is
> still found (whereas before the BLAS library was also not found even though
> it was actually present).  Without the LAPACK, now dsygv_, chegv_, ssygv_,
> zhegv_ aren't present.  I'll configure with the LAPACK installed from now
> on.

Sigh. Another omission. Maybe it's (again) time to reconsider the way
we provide LAPACK? I think there has been a number of such problems
lately.

Options I see:
1. Provide full BLAS and LAPACK within libcruft.
2. stop supplying them and make them a strong prerequisite.
3. Allow optional download of these libraries from Netlib.

the disadvantage of option 2 is that it is, IMHO, not straightforward
to build a shared LAPACK library on top of existing shared BLAS (like
ATLAS). At least I think that there was no support for that in LAPACK
3.1.

Option 3 is (or was) used in FreeFEM++ and I recall it was a real
convenience - just specifying --enable-download enabled automatic
download of BLAS, LAPACK, SuiteSparse, etc. wget and a working
internet connection was enough.
Is there anything with similar functionality to wget available on Windows?
If yes, then maybe we should consider this option - it will make
Octave tarballs considerably smaller while actually reducing the
amount of work required prior to building Octave (we can easily
auto-download BLAS, LAPACK, SuiteSparse, PCRE,
ARPACK...)

Comments?

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek