Re: porting arapck code to octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: porting arapck code to octave
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 00:11:29 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
| Why it doesn't work for you is a good question. Maybe there's a buffer
| overrun that in my case doesn't do any damage by chance? (Just a wild
| guess).

Both programs seem to work correctly for me.  I also thought it might
be a buffer overrun that was only showing up on some systems (32- vs
64-bit pointers, for example) so I tried it on 32- and 64-bit sytems
and it worked on both.  I also tried running it with valgrind and
there were no complaints for the call to dssimp.  I'm using Octave
3.0.1 (64-bit system) and Octave 3.0.0 (32-bit system) on a Debian
system with arpack from the Debian package.
ok, rinse and repeat...

I retried with various compilation and linking options and firstly it appears that if I link to the static library everything works fine. However if I have FFLAGS of "-fPIC -O2" and link arpack with

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libarpack.so -o libarpack.so SRC/*.o UTIL/*.o -llapack -lblas

as I would have thought was necessary, I have problems.. In fact I can't seem to find any shared library version that I build that does work....

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)