Re: porting arapck code to octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: porting arapck code to octave
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 00:44:36 +0100

David Bateman wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote:
| Why it doesn't work for you is a good question. Maybe there's a buffer
| overrun that in my case doesn't do any damage by chance? (Just a wild
| guess).

Both programs seem to work correctly for me.  I also thought it might
be a buffer overrun that was only showing up on some systems (32- vs
64-bit pointers, for example) so I tried it on 32- and 64-bit sytems
and it worked on both.  I also tried running it with valgrind and
there were no complaints for the call to dssimp.  I'm using Octave
3.0.1 (64-bit system) and Octave 3.0.0 (32-bit system) on a Debian
system with arpack from the Debian package.
ok, rinse and repeat...

I retried with various compilation and linking options and firstly it appears that if I link to the static library everything works fine. However if I have FFLAGS of "-fPIC -O2" and link arpack with

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl,libarpack.so -o libarpack.so SRC/*.o UTIL/*.o -llapack -lblas

as I would have thought was necessary, I have problems.. In fact I can't seem to find any shared library version that I build that does work....

D.

Ok, it seems that if I use the version of arpack from

http://mathema.tician.de/dl/software/arpack-autotools

that contains a few bug fixes and a build with libtool then I can get eigs to work correctly... The reason I was building ARPACK myself in the first place was that the version that seems to bee distributed with debian isn't built with gfortran with the version in testing.. Will this still be the case in future versions of arpack on debian?

Regards
David

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)