Re: eigs and ARPACK

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: eigs and ARPACK
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:30:25 +0100

Ben Abbott schrieb:
Any chance you tried gfortran?

I found precompiled binaries of g95 at http://www.g95.org under "G95 Binaries and Source (Stable version 0.91, March 2008)" for PPC and i386. These binaries should work with MacOSX 10.4.x gcc 4.0.1 and later. It should be possible to set up these binaries for both platforms instead of fort77/f2c for Octave.app in the future beside the rest of GCC that comes with Apple's XCode tools.

Another idea would be, to tell users to set up the GCC suite that is available from the good folks of the R-Project, cf. http://r.research.att.com/tools/ instead of Apple's XCode tools. There a gfortran compiler is included. A long while ago I tried this suite and I have to say that it works very well (means 'no' to your question, I haven't tried it yet).

In either case this also would mean to rewrite the build scripts for building and packing Octave.app and I don't know how much time I can spend for doing all this on my own and if somebody wants to help me with this then this would really be a great thing!

Best regards,

  Thomas