Re: 'paperpositionmode' change to rid gnuplot_set_term: size is zero

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: 'paperpositionmode' change to rid gnuplot_set_term: size is zero
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 22:07:33 +0000

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> In a nutshell ... I'd like to be able to set the default values for
> properties representing vectors. For example, figure.paperposition where
> we'd like the default to be [0.25, 2.5, 8, 6]. I don't see how this can be
> done. In graphics.h.in I can set each element to the same value (all zeros
> for example), but I don't see how to set the default to a vector with
> differing values.

You can't. To achieve that, you have to use an indirect way. See for
instance what I did to set the default figure position in graphics.h.in.
Another way would be to have a utility function like

  Matrix make_vector(int n, ...)

that you could use in graphics.h.in to initialize properties with
predefined vector. The implementation of such function would use
stdargs.h or varargs.h.

> Then there is the problem that the defaults are set after the callbacks are
> in place, which changes some of the defaults. As you point out this can be
> easily fixed, but I'd think it more proper to set the defaults prior to
> setting up the callbacks.

I'm not sure what's the best in this specific case. If you want to
force a default value for xtick, then it makes sense to also have
xtickmode set to manual, otherwise your default xtick value would
be useless and immediately overwritten by the system as xtickmode
would be auto. Could anybody check what happens under Matlab:

close all
set(0, 'defaultaxesxtick', [0:1:10])
get(gca, 'xtick')
get(gca, 'xtickmode')