Re: [changeset] Re: [manual] In prepad, add reference to postpad.

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [changeset] Re: [manual] In prepad, add reference to postpad.
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:50:44 -0600

Thorsten Meyer wrote:

Attached is a patch of how I managed to get a working 'doc'.  Besides the
DOCSTRING line, I also
found some @ref's that should be @xref's.  I don't think TeX understands things
like @ref{Plot
Styles}.

The documentation is written in Texinfo. Texinfo has both @ref and @xref. See
here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Cross-Reference-Commands.html#Cross-Reference-Commands

"
@xref
    Used to start a sentence in the printed manual saying `See ...' or an Info
cross-reference
saying ‘*Note name: node.’.
@ref
    Used within or, more often, at the end of a sentence; same as @xref for
Info; produces just the
reference in the printed manual without a preceding `See'.
"

With your patch, the html documentation of basic plotting starts like this for
me:

        If you need finer control over graphics, see See Advanced Plotting.
                                                 =======

Are you sure that you could not build the documentation without replacing @xref?

Obviously not.  "xref" means that?  Sort of arcane, 'x'; '@bref' for "beginning
reference" might make more sense.  Anyway, there are still non-critical errors in the
documentation that need accounting for.

Generally speaking, try to not check in things that don't compile or build
properly.  Even when
there may be some bug in the code, much of it is functional so long as it
builds.

I think one problem is, that the documentation breaks quite silently: the
actual build process is
not interrupted. You only see it afterwards, when you try to find something in
the
documentation (unless you read the make output very carefully).

Agreed.

I propose to add at least a test like this to the doc function:

%!test if exist( info_file ()) != 2
%!       error ("Info file %s does not exist!", info_file ());
%!     endif

Or maybe the makefile should be changed in such a way that the build process is
interrupted when the
docs do not build sucessfully.

I suppose losing documentation isn't a critical thing for non-development.
Perhaps a warning:  WARNING:  INFO FILE NOT BUILT CORRECTLY.  WILL NOT HAVE DOC
FUNCTION, which would be clearly visible amongst all the text output.

Dan