Octave 3.1.51 (latest on hg) under Linux (SUSE 11.1) problem

From: Khaled
Subject: Octave 3.1.51 (latest on hg) under Linux (SUSE 11.1) problem
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 03:39:35 -0800 (PST)

 Dear Maintainers,

  As you will realize later, I an not the kind of professional to get
through the developing cycle of octave. However, I was in the need for the
generalized eigenvalue problem and the SVDS (provided by arpack). Therefore,
I tried to compile the development source (3.1.51) yesterday!!

  Compiling went perfect (except two issues I reported before with inv.cc
and CmplxQRP.cc). I tried a work around and some how it works:). I already
compiled octave 3.0.3 (and I am still using it on my laptop) using exactly
the same command with the same the non-commercial intel math kernel (mkl
10.0.015) as follows:

"./configure CFLAGS=-fPIC FFLAGS=-ff2c --with-blas="-lmkl -lguide -lpthread
-lm" --with-lapack="-lmkl_lapack" --enable-64 --enable-shared
--enable-static --enable-bounds-check"

I am using gfortran and I prefer not compile with ifort... however my final
build is >>10 times slower than 3.0.3. I don't know exactly if BLAS is
configured as mkl or not. Even the configuration declared that it is not
configured as BLAS since it is not compiled with gfortran. However, the
configuration suggests for adding -ff2c in the compilation option, which I
did as you see.

1- my first question now is: why is it much slower than ver 3.0.3 (final
release)!!

2- Second question: the svds and arpack does not work properly!! on testing
SVDS with this command:

svds(eye(2));

"Octave terminate and gives this error:
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
Segmentation fault "

I used this package for installing my octave:

http://mathema.tician.de/dl/software/arpack-autotools

I selected version (0.96)!

However, I do suggest to include a working arpack into octave source or
compile it with octave !!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Here is my final configuration status:

"
  Installation prefix:  /usr/local
  C compiler:           gcc   -Wall -W -Wshadow -fPIC
  C++ compiler:         g++  -I/usr/include/freetype2  -Wall -W -Wshadow
-Wold-style-cast -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:     gfortran -ff2c
  Fortran libraries:     -L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3
-L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../lib64 -L/lib/../lib64
-L/usr/lib/../lib64
-L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/lib
-L/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../.. -lhdf5 -lz -lgfortranbegin
-lgfortran -lm
  BLAS libraries:
  FFTW libraries:       -lfftw3 -lfftw3f
  GLPK libraries:       -lglpk
  UMFPACK libraries:    -lumfpack
  AMD libraries:        -lamd
  CAMD libraries:       -lcamd
  COLAMD libraries:     -lcolamd
  CCOLAMD libraries:    -lccolamd
  CHOLMOD libraries:    -lcholmod
  CXSPARSE libraries:   -lcxsparse
  ARPACK libraries:     -larpack
  HDF5 libraries:       -lhdf5
  CURL libraries:       -lcurl
  REGEX libraries:      -L/usr/lib64 -lpcre
  QHULL libraries:      -lqhull
  LIBS:                 -lreadline  -lncurses -ldl -lmkl -lguide -lpthread
-lm -lhdf5 -lz -lm
  Default pager:        less
  gnuplot:              gnuplot
  OPENGL libraries:     -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL -lGLU -lfreetype -lz -lftgl
  FLTK backend libs:    -L/usr/lib64 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib64 -lfltk_gl -lGLU
-lGL -lfltk -lpthread -ldl -lm -lXext -lX11
  Magick config:        GraphicsMagick++-config

  Do internal array bounds checking:  true
  Build static libraries:             true
  Build shared libraries:             true
  Dynamic Linking:                    true (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   true
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     true

configure: WARNING: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible with
your Fortran 77 compiler.  The reference BLAS implementation will be used.
To improve performance, consider using a different Fortran compiler or a
switch like -ff2c to make your Fortran compiler use a calling convention
compatible with the way your BLAS library was compiled, or use a different
BLAS library.
"