Re: Further on MEX

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Further on MEX
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:45:40 -0500

On  5-Jan-2009, Aravindh Krishnamoorthy wrote:

| Kindly comment on the method below:
| 1. An independent library with MEX functionality (under LGPL or BSD
| license) is used to link the non-free code.
| 2. The 'calllib' call is implemented in Octave and is extended to
| allow exchange of mxArray arguments in a call to 'mexFunction.' =>
| equivalent of a mex call.

Please don't look for technical ways to try to circumvent the GPL.
Simply inserting some code that is covered by the LGPL in between code
that is covered by the GPL and code that uses some incompatible
license does not allow you to aovid the terms of the GPL.  If all the
parts are combined in a single work, the terms of the GPL must be
followed.

| This method is obviously slow and is not a replacement for rewriting
| Octave's toolbox functions as much it is a desperate measure to run
| non-free code within Octave.

Instead of desparate measures to run non-free code in Octave, I think
it would be better to find ways to create free software that does the
job of the non-free code.  That way, the free softare community
benefits from the work.

jwe

__