Re: ChangeLogs

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:10:09 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 06.01.2009, 09:55 -0500 schrieb John W. Eaton:
> On  6-Jan-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | Normal members of the Octave group can't work with the repo directly,
> | our access is limited to comitting. Perhaps John can?
>
> I don't think I can delete or replace the archive on savannah.  As far
> as I know, we would need to ask for assistance from the savannah
> admins to do that.

Okay, different proposal: how about we split the changelogs after a new
release?

That is, we don't keep a current changelog but generate it at "make
dist" time, say "ChangeLog-3.1.52". That is then added to the repository
(or appended to the normal ChangeLog). Spelling or errors could then be
corrected (as separate Changesets), but we wouldn't touch that file for
normal changes.

Essentially, the Changelog would become some sort of NEWS file, but with
a different focus.

        Thomas