Re: Further on MEX

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Further on MEX
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:20:10 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  7-Jan-2009, David Bateman wrote:

| We'd also then need to use the same mex extensions as matlab itself
| does though.

Why?  Can't you just rename the files to change the extension when you
install them?
Yes, you can. However, that is an additional step that a novice users has to do to get it to work.
The only reason for having the different extensions is so that MEX
files for multiple platforms can be installed in the saem directory.
Doing that causes trouble for people packaging Octave, doesn't it?
The assumption is that binary files go in specific directories
(/usr/lib or /usr/libexec instead of /usr/share).  But we still have
problems because of the way the loadpath works (the assumption being
that you can add a package in Matlab by adding a directory to the
path).
I thought the LSB specified architecture dependent and independent directories and so the mex files should always be in different directories for different platforms if packaged correctly.

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)