Re: commenting style: the definite answer?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: commenting style: the definite answer?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:47:17 +0100

Okay, you're asking for opinions, so you'll get subjective opinion :-)

tir, 13 01 2009 kl. 10:11 +0100, skrev Jaroslav Hajek:
> 1. (JWE's) strict style:
> Use # for type 1 comments, ## for type 2 comments.
>
> 2. (JH's) relaxed style:
> Choose # or ## for each type, but stay consistent throughout the file.

In summary: I prefer option 1.

> The disadvantage of 1. is that it is more typing, because type 2
> comments are approximately 6 times more frequent than type 1 comments.

Personally, I never really cared about how much typing was required to
write the code. It just never seemed to me, that this is the real
bottle-neck during development. What I care about is readability, and in
general I find that strict styles are easier to read than relaxed ones.

One of the comments you see from time to time about Octave, is that the
code is well-written and fairly easy to read. I think this is something
that shouldn't change.

Soren