Re: Bug in plotting - 3.0.4 RC1

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Bug in plotting - 3.0.4 RC1
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:52:13 -0500

[this part of the discussion moved from the bugs list.  --jwe]

On 23-Jan-2009, John W. Eaton wrote:

| On 23-Jan-2009, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| | If you are talking about the change from root_figure to root, then
| | it looks to me like that change has already been made.
|
| Oops, I was looking at the wrong sources.  But is it necessary to make
| this change for 3.0.x?  Does it cause any other trouble if it remains
| "root figure"?  That is not a regression from previous 3.0.x releases.
|
| I do see that the legend appears to be reversed.  I guess that is a
| consequence of switching the order of handles.

May I suggest that in the future we restrict ourselves to fixing only
regressions in the stable releases?  What I mean is that if the bug is
new, or was present in a previous stable release, we would fix it in
the main branch but NOT in the stable branch.  Although this may be
upsetting to some who report bugs in (say) 3.0.3 and then find that
the problems are not fixed in 3.0.4, I think that attempting to fix
bugs that are not regressions tends to move us away from the stability
we are promising for the stable release series.

Comments?