Re: [changeset] Missing ScreenSize & ScreenPixelsPerInch properties

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: [changeset] Missing ScreenSize & ScreenPixelsPerInch properties
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:06:39 +0100

Ben Abbott schrieb:
Nicely done.

$ g++ foo-osx.cc -framework Carbon -o foo-osx
$ ./foo-osx 1280x1024 pixels
380x310 mm
83.9019 resx
85.5579 resx
84.7299 avg dpi
32 bit depth

I was thinking about the duality of the Mac as well. How are we to determine if
X11 or Carbon is to be used?

Run time option?

I think this would be cool, but unnecessary. I just thought about it but the X11.app must be on top of Carbon/Cocoa because we can use the Desktop without X11.app. This means that X11.app either uses Carbon/Cocoa interface functions or works beside it. I think Carbon here is definitively the faster way to go...

Why I was asking this question is more meant by: will or must there be added more Core Mac Graphics functionality in the future and if this is true then might it be better to use the same code than the traditional *nix systems?

Build time option?

Good question, and my last question to John here before I prepare a changeset tomorrow: Do we need a configure test to check for the LDFLAGS '-framework Carbon' or can I just add this to the '*-*-darwin*)' flags of the canonical_host_system in configure.in?

  Thomas