Re: SONAME clarification

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: SONAME clarification
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:49:04 -0500

On 28-Jan-2009, Marco Atzeri wrote:

| > | *********************************
| > |
| > | the installed lib files will be
| > |
| > | usr/bin/cygcruft.dll
| > | usr/bin/cygoctave.dll
| > | usr/bin/cygoctinterp.dll
| > |
| > | usr/lib/octave-3.0.4/libcruft.dll.a
| > | usr/lib/octave-3.0.4/libcruft.dll.a.3.0.4
| > | usr/lib/octave-3.0.4/liboctave.dll.a
| > | usr/lib/octave-3.0.4/liboctave.dll.a.3.0.4
| > | usr/lib/octave-3.0.4/liboctinterp.dll.a
| > | usr/lib/octave-3.0.4/liboctinterp.dll.a.3.0.4
| >
| > Yes, but in your current patch the install rules are
| > still using
| > $(SOPRE) as a prefix for static libraries.  That
| > doesn't seem correct,
| > or the name SOPRE is not the best choice.  Which is
| > it?
| >

| No idea, I chosen SOPRE as it was needed to
| change SONAME, but any other name is fine.

In the end, I decided to go with three separate prefixes to go along
with the three separate types of suffixes we have:

  LIBPRE     LIBEXT
  SHLLIBPRE  SHLLIB and SHLLIB_VER
  SHLBINPRE  SHLBIN and SHLBIN_VER

and checked in the following changeset:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f8b3ece45bda

If this is not the right thing to do for some platform(s), then please
submit patches relative to the current sources from the Mercurial
archive.  For example, I'm not sure how SHLEXT and SHLEXT_VER fit into
this arrangement, and whether there should also be a prefix variable
corresponding to those variables.