Re: fsolve test failure

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fsolve test failure
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:09:25 -0500

On 29-Jan-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| So, you're voting for choice 2? Make just optimget queries to be case
| insensitive? I'm a little confused now.

No, they both need to be case insensitive.  So all of

  optimset ('tolx', ...)
  optimset ('TolX', ...)
  optimset ('TOLX', ...)

should work and set the same internal variable.  Similarly, all of

  optimget (opts, 'tolx')
  optimget (opts, 'TolX')
  optimget (opts, 'TOLX')

should work and retrieve the same internal variable value.  But a call
like

  x = optimset ();

should return a structure with the field 'TolX' (not 'tolx' or 'TOLX').
Otherwise, code like I showed earlier will fail, because accessing
structure fields directly is a case-sensitive operation.  And if there
is nothing preventing users from doing

  opts = optimset ();
  opts.TolX = foobar;

  fsolve (..., opts);

then I'm sure they will do it.  So we might as well allow this now
while we are thinking about it rather than wait for a bug report.