Re: GPU computing for octave

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: GPU computing for octave
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:51:52 +0000

On 31 Jan 2009, at 16:45, address@hidden wrote:

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:26:19 -0800 (PST)
From: prashobh <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Hi,

I have worked with Octave, and Integrating C/C++ source files into octave.
I am interested in trying to use Jacket with Octave.
This could be an interesting project, with relevance to academic users,
especially since it reduces the cost of use on clusters.

My Job role involves supporting academic users and would be great to do a
project of this nature.

Thanks,
Prashobh

melonakos wrote:

Hello everyone,

We recently released Jacket v1.0 - a CUDA-based engine for MATLAB. Jacket uses MEX to interface with MATLAB, so we're wondering if it will work with Octave. If there is any Octave developers interested in trying this out,
please email us and we'd be happy to arrange this with you.

To learn more, check out Jacket here:  http://www.accelereyes.com

Best,

John Melonakos
AccelerEyes

Hi,

I see that Jacket is not free software.
Whether or not it is legitimate to use the MEX interface to
link non-free add-ons to Octave is currently a debated subject [1].
IANAL, but I guess you might want to hold back on trying this
linking until the issue has been clarified.

c.

[1] see the thread:
http://www.nabble.com/Further-on-MEX-td21277368.html#a21323024