Re: SONAME clarification

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: SONAME clarification
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:13:58 +0100

In the end, I decided to go with three separate prefixes to go along
with the three separate types of suffixes we have:

  LIBPRE     LIBEXT
  SHLLIBPRE  SHLLIB and SHLLIB_VER
  SHLBINPRE  SHLBIN and SHLBIN_VER

and checked in the following changeset:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f8b3ece45bda

If this is not the right thing to do for some platform(s), then please
submit patches relative to the current sources from the Mercurial
archive.  For example, I'm not sure how SHLEXT and SHLEXT_VER fit into
this arrangement, and whether there should also be a prefix variable
corresponding to those variables.

May I suggest that we please use *separate* case statements for separate build archictectures, if the overlap is not significant.

Truly, cygwin and mingw now show to be different enough to justify separate treatment. Aside from completely different naming conventions, in the mingw case I also need additional flags, since mkoctfile and octave-config are compiled executables and not shell scripts - which is *not* the case for cygwin.

Keeping mingw and cygwin separate here, changes due to architecture affect only the architecture in question - keep it independent, this makes maintaining much easier for both cygwin and mingw

I see an immediate bug now, as the
  library_path_var=PATH
statement is missing for the mingw case (I guess cygwin will also need this)

Also I miss the three statements
    CPICFLAG=
    CXXPICFLAG=
    FPICFLAG=
for mingw target (code compiled with mingw in inherently PI, so it is not required to add -fPIC, as the resulting gcc warning tells).

Also I don't understand the meaning of SHLBIN. What is it supposed to mean? A search through the source code shows no targets containing SHLBIN? A short comment in configure.in would I guess be very helpful for those who are not familiar with all the makefile conventions in full depth.

Sorry for making such a noise here, but this changeset gives me a bit of a headache tracking down what has changed for mingw platform, because of modifications orinigally intended for the cygwin platform...

I am perfectly willing to provide changesets here, but I feel I do no longer understand the code...

benjamin