Re: Speed improvements and slowups 3.0.x to latest 3.1.x

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Speed improvements and slowups 3.0.x to latest 3.1.x
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 00:21:51 +0000

On 7 Feb 2009, at 07:22, address@hidden wrote:

I guess I could try to realize some of the two ideas. Do you know of a
serious Octave application where sorting is a bottleneck?

the search for neighbouring triangles in an unstructured mesh could be an example.
An implemention is in the forge function:

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/extra/msh/inst/MSH2Mtopprop.m

as a benchmark, given a large unstructured mesh 'msh' try

ngb = MSH2Mtopprop(msh, "n")

anyway, I actually beleive that memory consumption, not speed, is the real bottleneck for this...
c.