Re: can't build development sources

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: can't build development sources
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:13:33 -0500

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:
Rob Mahurin schrieb:
Hi,
I'm trying to build the development sources on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and getting linking errors. I can build the 3.0.3 tarball but not the 3.1.52 snapshot (nor any recent place along the development tree).
My 3.1.52 build fails with
ld: Undefined symbols:
_METIS_NodeComputeSeparator
_METIS_NodeND
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [liboctave.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I expect that your SuiteSparse library has been compiled against the not GPL compatible METIS library.

You can try to build SuiteSparse without METIS on your own which is the preferred way (check the README.txt file of SuiteSparse about CHOLMOD_CONFIG = -DNPARTITION), or the not preferred way is that you add something to LDFLAGS for ./configure to include the metis libraries, eg. -lmetis or similar... BTW, where did you get your SuiteSparse?

Thanks, -lmetis helped. I got my SuiteSparse from MacPorts, whose configuration I haven't yet learned to tweak.

My system has
$ /usr/bin/bison --version
GNU Bison version 1.28

The Makefile header warns this is too old, but the configure script doesn't check for this. Also "./configure --help" seems to suggest setting YACC=yacc, but make -C src still fails.

I don't know enough autoconf to immediately add a version check for bison to configure.in (if that's even the right place), or whether that's worthwhile.

Rob

--
Rob Mahurin
Department of Physics and Astronomy